Health Starts at the Kitchen
Allergy Friendly Fluffy Pancakes
This pancake is egg-free, non-dairy and gluten free – but it doesn’t mean that it is devoid of flavor from a normal pancake.
I experimented with different ingredients to make this pancake allergy friendly but I also made sure that the flavor and texture should be like a normal pancake.
What really makes a pancake delightful are the toppings. With the right combination of fruits, nuts, sweet syrup, non-dairy cream or non-dairy butter I never miss eating normal pancakes that use processed white flour and sugar that are not good for the gut.
In the image there are 2 pieces of pancakes topped with walnuts, coconut cream and my homemade blueberry syrup made from dried blueberries.
Surprisingly, my husband tried the matcha flavor that I made and he liked it. He has no idea that he is eating a plant-based pancake, he even asked me to cook another batch the next day and that’s the best food review/feedback.
- 2 tbsp sugar/sweetener (muscovado sugar,coconut sugar, honey, yacon syrup)
- 2 tbsp oil (non-dairy butter, olive oil, ghee)
- 1 egg substitute (use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer or Flax egg)
- To make flax egg: Combine 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water. Stir and refrigerate for 15 mins to thicken
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- (optional) 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- (optional) 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder to add volume
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 – 1 cup non-dairy milk
- In a bowl combine and mix dry ingredients (flour, granulated sugar,baking powder, salt )
- In another bowl combine and mix remaining ingredients (oil, egg substitute, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk)
- Pour wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to make the batter. Do not over mix.
- Add 1 tbsp oil on a pan in low-medium heat.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter, and gently pour to the pan forming a circle.
- Wait for the bubbles to appear then flip. Cook the other side for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Put 1-2 pieces of pancakes on a plate, add toppings like fruits, nuts, honey, non-dairy butter or chilled coconut cream.
Have you tried this recipe? Tag us @foodwithpurposeph or use the hashtag #foodWithPurposePh