Health Starts at the Kitchen
Sauteed Green Beans
I love how I can make these easy to cook vegetable dishes and pair it with any kind of meat or protein, especially when I am in a hurry.
In this recipe I’m using french beans, but you can use any type of green beans like snap/baguio beans, string beans (sitaw), snow peas (sitsaro). Remember that recipes can be changed based on your health preferences and budget.
A reminder in buying condiments. Make sure to read the label/nutrition facts/ingredients at the back and choose the ones that have no harmful chemicals or ingredients. There shouldn’t be letters with numbers in the ingredients. Also, check the amount of cholesterol, sodium, fat and carbohydrates.
In french, sauté means “to jump”. Sauteeing is a quick dry heat cooking technique. Remember these in sauteing, vegetables should be cut into equal bite size pieces, use high heat and make sure that you hear a good sizzle, toss the ingredients from time to time to make sure that the ingredients are cooked evenly.
- 1 – 2 cups of French Green beans
- 1-2 tbsps Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3-4 cups of water for boiling
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (or any oil that has a high smoke point)
- salt for boiling and to taste
- pepper to taste
- (optional) butter or non-dairy butter or sesame oil
- Prepare your mise-en-place (ingredients in correct quantity and cut size)
- Blanche the green beans first in boiling water with salt for 2-3 minutes. Amount of salt depends on your taste but you can start with 1/2 tsp to 1 tbsp of salt.
- Green beans will slightly change in color and become dark green. Get a piece and take bite to check if it is to your liking.
- Put blanched vegetables to a small plate
- On a dry sauté pan In medium heat put 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Add the chopped garlic and toast it. Careful not to burn it. Wait for its color to change to slightly brown.
- Add the chopped onions. Sauté and wait for it to become translucent
- Add the blanched green beans and toss to sauté.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook the ingredients for about 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Turn off the heat and serve on a plate. You may add sesame oil or butter to enhance the flavor.
Have you tried this recipe? Tag us @foodwithpurposeph or use the hashtag #foodWithPurposePh